Draft Core Strategy (incorporating Preferred Options) October 2010

Draft Core Strategy (incorporating Preferred Options)

Mix of Affordable Housing

8.26 It is vital that the right mix and type of affordable housing is provided for the residents of the District. The SHMA[1] estimates a particular need for 1 and 2 bedroom affordable housing units (75%). The Table below sets out the findings:

Figure 18: Estimated size requirement for additional affordable housing
1 bedroom
2 bedrooms
3 bedrooms
4+ bedrooms
South Somerset HMA

8.27 The evidence from the SHMA shows that wherever possible 67% of affordable housing should be provided as social rented, normally through a Private Registered Provider (PRP) normally a Registered Social Landlord. The remaining 33% should be intermediate affordable housing such as shared ownership or other affordable home ownership products. The involvement of the community and private sectors in providing rented, shared ownership or alternative intermediate schemes running alongside those more traditionally built by PRP’s are welcomed so long as they comply with the same terms and conditions of management, maintenance and Scheme Development Standards (SDS) as those set out for affordable rented units by the Home and Communities Agency.

1. Taunton and South Somerset Housing Market Areas Strategic Housing market Assessments, report 2: Analysis of household survey data for South Somerset District Council, Final report February 2009 [back]